Tuesday 16 April 2013

MS2 EVALUATION: Word count 1583

DVD Cover
My DVD Cover conveys the codes and conventions of the film through the colours as they show the film has ‘dark ‘aspects, e.g. domestic violence and the mode of address of the protagonist hints at a psychological aspect to the film. The front image also attracts attention as an enigma of mystery.The typography used is effective as it hints at a teenage girl ‘doodling’, and it also hints at a child using a crayon, which hints at the film genre. Placing the actresses' names at the top of the cover shows they are the main protagonists. By writing my own billing block  I made the cover look unique and professional.Using the same typography for the synopsis/tagline/actors names helps the cover to link together.

However there are parts that I could improve on such as the front image could be a little clearer as it does look blurry at the top of the picture. The image also looks slightly ‘squashed’. The actors names don’t really look that eye catching as the colour blends in with the background. The front cover looks too plain/simple which hints at a different genre e.g. horror, due to the colours used.   
Teaser Poster 


My poster is effective because the colours work well together as they make the protagonist look young and brings realist into the image. Placing the tagline at the top of the poster helps to bring out the meaning behind it through the lighting on the words.  The typography for the title hints at the protagonist being ‘childlike’, which works with the image. The layout also works well because it doesn't overwhelm the audience with the information. Using the logos gives the poster an ‘official look’.

Nevertheless I could change the size of the poster, to make the image more eye-catching. I would also add more detail to show the codes and conventions more e.g. two contrasting images to hint at the plot of the film. Moving the typography closer together would help to change the overall effect of the poster, especially the title as the image is cover slightly by the typography. 

Looking back over my work I noticed there are details I would change.  The DVD cover could look more unique, e.g. using a different background layout.  I could have also conveyed the codes and conventions more through my DVD cover, such as using brighter colours.  For my teaser poster I would change the background so that the picture isn't as bold and the image reveals more to the audience. 


Next time I will try to organise myself more and divide my time out so that I have set time limits to work on each part of the coursework to enhance the ‘sell-ability’ of my production pieces.

Overall I feel that I have worked to the best of my ability and it is reflected in the quality of my work and my production pieces work well together through the design layout as they both look official and convey the codes and conventions of my film genre clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment